Thursday 30 April 2020

Inspiring Leith

Back in June last year I was one of the founders of a small stitching group that met on a Thursday afternoon in Leith Library as part of the Inspiring Leith Project. As part of the project I designed "Inspiring Leith".


This was specifically designed to encourage anyone coming into the library to 'have a go'. It was always going to be colourful, and of course size matters. It's much easier for newcomers to needlepoint to start on a larger grid of canvas.

Anyone stitching in public is likely to get a mixture of reactions. Some people will look away, some will not even notice, but there are always a few who will come and have a look.
The lookers are obviously interested and often apologetic for disturbing you, but none of us is ever going to be annoyed by questions if we think we're going to get another person hooked on needlepoint.
The most common reaction I came across was "I could never do that". The open door. "Of course you can. If you can thread a needle you can do needlepoint", at which point I offer them a chance to try. "It won't break and you can't damage it", was part of my mantra.
I gave them the choice of stitching where I was stitching, or choosing a new colour, a new letter and a new stitch. "Choose a colour, any colour, chose a letter, any letter, chose a stitch from the stitch book."
It brought out some unusual colour combinations, but the whole point was to be colourful and noticeable.

After almost a year, this is where we are.


Each letter is a different stitch and the colours clash, but it has been fun persuading people of all ages to add a few stitches.

The current thinking is that it might be the centre piece of a banner, so I'm thinking that I may take out the small amount of background at the top right and do a skip-stitch, so that much of the canvas is left unstitched. It would reduce the weight, and it would allow the wind to pass through, making it easier to control if it is carried in a parade. I'd have to put a backing on each letter, but that's for later.

Maybe by this time next year it will be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment