Thursday 28 November 2019

Creme de la creme

I don't usually repeat a design but this is an exception.

Crème de la Crème is a reworking of "Fawny of Eight", which appears earlier in this blog. I chose to take the unusual step of reworking an older piece because the Embroiderer's Guild, of which I was a member at the time, was holding a Regional Day in Edinburgh in 2008 and wanted entries for their exhibition of members' work. The theme was Crème de la Crème.

I was asked by one of the organisers if I had anything to submit. There are not many men in the Embroiderer's Guild so they were keen to have something in their exhibition. So I said "We'll see," and had a brief think.

I concluded that in the time available I probably didn't have time to work up something totally new, but I had enjoyed working on Fawny of Eight and was sure I could do it much better second time around.


My memory (not infallible) tells me that this must have been done on 18 count canvas as my notes say I used 4 strands of DMC Ecru. I tried white, but it was too was too stark and cold. The Ecru was just a touch warmer in feeling.
The stitches used are; starting at the top left; Basketweave, Woven Stitch, Twill Variation, Upright Gobelin, Scotch Stitch, Dinaken Stitch, Hungarian Variation (Diagonal) and Upright Brick. The outer border is Satin Stitch.
Because I already had the design, it only took me 30 hours to stitch this, and it was completed in time for the Regional Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment