Friday 24 January 2020

Young Samurai

In 2008 Jane-Beth attended Teacher Class at the Japanese Embroidery Center in Atlanta, Georgia to renew her teaching certification. "Young Samurai" was the set Teacher Class design. It is obviously a Samurai helmet, and was inspired by "Boys' Day" or Tango no Sekku, which is celebrated on May 5th. This is an ancient Japanese festival and may date back as far as 593AD.

Having done a little stitching on the piece, and worked out the 'How', Jane-Beth decided that it would give me practice if I were to finish it. Well, I know my place, and I liked the design.

Copyright Japanese Embroidery Center, Atlanta

It looks, initially, as though it is a comparatively simple piece to stitch, but it has quite a lot of superimposed work and fuzzy effect. It was fun to stitch, and although only a Phase II piece it definitely reinforced the lessons I had learned from earlier pieces.

Young Samurai is 13" by 9", I spent 90 hours working on it and the time seemed to fly by.


No comments:

Post a Comment