Friday 3 May 2019

Bluegrass Fantasy

Lexington, Kentucky, is in the heart of Bluegrass Country, so it seemed only reasonable that while at the ANG Seminar I should take a class called Bluegrass Fantasy.

Bluegrass Fantasy was designed and taught by Peg Dunayer. I was attracted by the title, but the way threads and ribbons had been combined to create the design also fascinated me. My fingers itched to try these new stitches and materials.


I see Seminar as a place to try new things and learn new skills. It's not just the classes, but when you get a large group of embroiderers in one place they will talk about embroidery, exchange tips and provide advice.

It wasn't all stitching, there was some eating, and there was the 'Tourist' bit. We went on a Coach trip to a Bourbon distillery - how could we not? The Bourbon did, of course, have to be tasted. I'm going to be controversial here, but I have to say that Bourbon is not a patch on a decent Single Malt Scotch Whisky.
We also made a visit to the home of Mary Todd Lincoln, which was only a short walk from our hotel. I think the volunteers running the house were a bit surprised to have a visit from two Scottish people who actually knew about Mary Lincoln.
And of course we just had to visit M's Canvas House. AND I became a Bag Lady. Yet again I was overwhelmed by the variety of threads, flosses, and, well just everything!

We had two weeks of fun, fun, fun, then, as the saying goes, we had to come home "Tae auld clathes an parritch."

1 comment: