Monday 4 March 2019

A Smile of Relief

This small quilted hanging was worked as a challenge.
One of the Patchwork & Quilting shops decided to run a Challenge in aid of Macmillan Cancer Relief.  The shop sold a pack of the Challenge Fabric and the purchaser was expected to create a quilt or hanging from it. We were allowed to use additional fabrics, but as much as possible of the Challenge Fabric was to be used. There was also a size limitation as the Challenge creations were to be exhibited.


I took up the challenge, but I didn't have the least idea what I was going to do.
(A recent conversation with Jane-Beth confirmed that when I start a project I often don't have a clue how to do what I want, in order to achieve the final result I want - yeah, so that's how I learn.)
So I looked at the fabric for a while, I sighed, I despaired, then I had an idea. Make something based on the Macmillan Logo.
But what? The CR of the logo at the time was a flowing script of green ribbon with the C & R knotting together. One of the phrases they used in their advertising referred to the smile of the patient when the Macmillan Nurse came to call. The Logo became the eyes and nose and the Challenge fabric became the face with smiling lips.

All I had to do was cut the fabric, piece the fabric, find a backing and quilt it. (Doesn't sound like much when you say it quickly.)

The design was made up of 1" squares using English Piecing. The only fabrics I added were the border, the red of the lips, the dark blue round the head and the two greens at the eyes and nose. The Challenge Fabrics were the pinks and lavenders of the face and the pale greys of the eyes.

I started this in June 2002 and finished it in September 2002. At the exhibition, and much to my surprise, someone asked if they could buy it. Well blow me down! Of course! They named a price and I said to make the cheque out to Macmillan's.

No comments:

Post a Comment